Monday, August 29, 2011

On Metro 2033

As an already huge fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise this game was right up my alley. This game, for me, is the pinnacle of post-apocalypse games at the moment. The graphics are great, the storyline is great, the controls are great, and the scares are great. This is just a great game overall and I highly recommend it to any post-apocalypse or horror fan. "Horror?" you say? Yes horror. I have jumped more at this game than Amnesia. This game has a habit of throwing mutant creatures or unexpected bandits at you out of nowhere. I almost fell out of my chair when I was walking down a tunnel and suddenly got shot by a bandit. "But doesn't the game mostly take place in a subway?" Yes it does, but this is definitely not a bad thing. You do go up to the surface ever so often but it is highly irradiated, requiring you to wear your gas mask at all times (which can run out of filters) and there are monsters everywhere. Underground, however, there are marketplaces, societies, and even underground wars going on. This game is highly realistic, requiring you to buy filters for your gas mask, if you are attacked while wearing your gas mask the glass could break, causing vision to become impaired, your quests are written down on a little pad that you pull out in real-time, no esc menu quest reviews, the HUD is only a crosshair and ammo supply, to heal you have to inject yourself with what I believe is morphine, you have to recharge your headlight, etc. This game is great, and I could talk about it all day, but I do not want to spoil anything for you. All I will say is it is a great game with the bonus of a great scare and I definitely recommend it for any post apocalypse or horror fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment